Degenerative disc disease is when the discs that cushion your vertebrae deteriorate over time because of aging, injury, or other factors. If you experience the symptoms of degenerative disc disease, such as pain in the neck, back, or legs, stiffness, or mobility issues, please contact us for non-surgical, non-opioid, all-natural degenerative disc disease treatment in Culver City and Van Nuys.
What to Do When Spinal Discs Wear Down
Spinal discs, like most other parts of your body, have an important job, but over time, they become worn down. When functioning properly, the discs will let you move your back and neck and flex, bend, and turn other parts of your body; as they accumulate wear and tear, you’ll start to notice several aches and pains that only grow worse over time. When you notice pain in your back or neck, call us as soon as possible to schedule a consultation with Dr. Rozenberg to determine whether or not you need degenerative disc treatment in Culver City and Van Nuys office.
What Causes Degenerative Disc Disease?
Degenerative disc disease is simply the result of normal changes in your spinal discs. The discs themselves consist of a soft core surrounded by a wall. They are mostly made up of water, which gives them their shape. As they lose water over the years, they become thinner and can’t absorb shocks as well as they used to; they also provide less cushioning for the vertebrae, leading to back pain. There’s also the risk of the outer wall tearing due to the stress of everyday movements; if the damage occurs near a nerve, it can be very painful. If this sounds like something you’re dealing with, please contact our office to learn your options for degenerative disc disease treatment in Culver City and Van Nuys.
What are the Symptoms?
This condition is usually accompanied by a sharp or persistent pain in your back or neck. The symptoms depend on which disc is damaged, but common warning signs of degenerative disc disease include:
- Pain located in the lower back, buttocks, and upper thighs.
- Discomfort that comes and goes.
- Pain that worsens when you sit down, bend, lift, or twist but gets better whenever you get up, walk, change positions, or lie down.
- A numb, tingling feeling in your arms and legs.
How Can It Be Treated?
Treatment for degenerative disc disease involves stopping the pain while preventing further damage. Luckily, since it’s a natural occurrence that’s based on aging, initial treatment generally involves conservative, non-surgical techniques for managing pain and building strength in related muscles. For example, spinal decompression to adjust the position of the vertebrae will take some of the pressure off the discs, giving them a chance to recover from some of the damage they’ve suffered. To learn more about options for degenerative disc disease treatment in Culver City and Van Nuys, please contact our office for an appointment.
How to Prevent Degenerative Disc Disease?
Degenerative disc disease (DDD) is the breakdown of the discs that cushion the vertebrae of your spine. As you age, the discs naturally degenerate or break down. That’s because the discs are constantly under pressure. The discs are under the most stress when you are upright, such as when you are standing, sitting, or walking, and they are also under stress when you twist or bend your spine. So, there are no definitive ways to prevent degenerative disc disease.
However, the following tips can help you minimize the risk of degenerative disc disease or at least slow down its progression:
- Maintain good posture. When you slouch, you put unnecessary pressure on the discs.
- Stay active. Exercise helps keep the discs healthy by providing them with nutrients and keeping the fluid moving. This can prevent the discs from degenerating.
- Eat a healthy diet. A nutritious diet helps keep the discs healthy by providing the nutrients they need to stay strong.
- Avoid smoking. Smoking reduces blood flow and catalyzes the degenerative process.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Excess weight puts extra pressure on the discs, which can cause them to degenerate more quickly.
For more information on how prevention and degenerative disc disease treatment in Culver City and Van Nuys, please contact our office for an appointment and let us help you!
Why Choose Spinatomy Spine & Disc Centers for Degenerative Disc Treatment?
- Wide Menu of Non-Invasive Treatments
- Chiropractor Using the Latest Technology
- Team That Goes Beyond Your Expectations